My Oscar tips for 2013
As in the past couple of years, I'm again participating in
a bet (game) by the Munich newspaper "Abendzeitung". The paper has
printed a list of the nominees in all the 24 categories. You have to select the
nominees that you think will win the Oscars.
The participant with the highest number of correct tips will win 20 movie
tickets for one of my favorite movie-theaters in Munich (Gloria-Palast) which
was just renovated and turned into some sort of "luxury" cinema with food being
served etc. - It's gotten a bit too expensive for me...
In 2011, I got 10 out of 24 categories right, and last
year it was only 9 out of 24 but I don't give up hope... To be honest, there are
quite a few nominees (up to 9) in some categories, so it's not very easy to get
even 10 of them right and sometimes I stubbornly choose my own personal favorites (i.e.
best actress) even though I don't really believe that
they get the Oscar :-)
I suppose some participants in this "game" actually just make a wild guess whereas I
either watch the movies or at least view synopses and trailers of them to form
an opinion about them. In some of the main categories, I found it hard to make a
decision because some nominees were equally good, in my opinion. Well, here are
the ones I chose:
Text added in BLUE on Feb. 25 after the
Oscars: I got 11 out of 24 categories (126 nominees) right! I'm pretty sure that
I still won't win those tickets but I think I didn't do too bad :-)
- Best Picture (Film): Argo -
('Life of Pi' is also a favorite...)
- Directing (Regie): Ang Lee for "Life of Pi" -
- Actor in a leading role (Hauptdarsteller): Joaquin
(Even though I don't really like him much, I think he's an excellent actor
- but I'm afraid that Daniel Day Lewis is more likely to win for "Lincoln")
- Actress in a leading role (Hauptdarstellerin):
Quvenzhané Wallis in "Beasts of the Southern Wild"
(Because miracles do happen sometimes, so the youngest nominee could win
this Oscar for her impressive performance)
- Actor in a supporting role (Nebendarsteller): Robert de
Niro in "Silver Linings"
- Actress in a supporting role (Nebendarstellerin): Anne
Hathaway in "Les Misérables" - WINNER
- Writing - Original screenplay (Originaldrehbuch):
"Django Unchained" - WINNER
- Writing - Adapted screenplay (Adaptiertes Drehbuch):
"Argo" - WINNER
- Cinematography (Beste Kamera): "Life of Pi" -
- Film editing (Bester Schnitt): "Life of Pi"
- Music - Original score (Original-Musik): "Anna
(I would say that "Life of Pi" has equal chances of winning in this category...)
- Music - Song: "Skyfall" by Adele -
- Art direction (Ausstattung): "Anna Karenina"
- Costume Design (Kostüme): "Mirror, Mirror"
- Make-up: "The Hobbit"
- Sound Mixing (Tonmischung): "Les Misérables"
- Sound Editing (Tonschnitt): "Skyfall" -
- Visual Effects (Visuelle Effekte): "Marvel's The
("Life of Pi" would deserve this one, too)
- Animated feature film (Animationsfilm): "Brave"
(Deutsch: Merida) - WINNER
- Foreign language film (nicht englischsprachiger Film):
"Amour" - WINNER
(because it's a very good French-GERMAN (!) co-production)
- Documentary feature (Dokumentarfilm): "The Invisible
(because the producers were quite brave in making a film about this
- Short animated feature (animierter Kurzfilm): "Adam and
- Short film - live action (Real-Kurzfilm): "Buzkashi
- Short documentary feature (Dokumentar-Kurzfilm): "Open
I've put this list online long before the Oscars, so you
can send me your personal tips if you want to bet on different films :-)
I don't bet for money though!
Back to homepage
Designed, created & owned by: Angela.Gerstner@t-online.de